Pediculosis is currently quite common.
a disease that affects both children and adults.
At the same time, the main sign indicating the presence of lice,
are nits on the hair, from which further grow
- 1 Where nits can appear, symptoms
- 2 How live animals develop and how they feed
- 3 How to distinguish living nits from the dead
- 4 Can there be nits without lice, what to do if there are nits, but no lice
- 5 Are dead nits dangerous?
- 6 How to get rid of dry (dead) nits on the hair
- 7 How to remove dead nits from hair quickly at home
- 8 Preventing the appearance of lice and nits
- 9 Frequently asked Questions
Where nits can appear, symptoms
The content of the article:
- Where nits can appear, symptoms
- How live animals develop and how they feed
- How to distinguish living nits from the dead
- Can there be nits without lice, what to do if there are nits, but
- Are dead nits dangerous?
- How to get rid of dry (dead) nits on the hair
- How to remove dead nits from hair quickly at home
- Preventing the appearance of lice and nits
- Frequently asked Questions
Immediately it should be noted that nits are louse eggs
female, which she begins to actively postpone, hitting on
man’s head. In turn, the louse itself may appear
in the hair in the following ways:
- on close contact with an infected person
pediculosis (in public transport, places with large
- by sharing personal items
hygiene (towels, hairbrushes), hats and
- sexually (if we are talking about pubic
The main symptom signaling the presence of nits is
the appearance on the head of whitish capsules attached to the hair on
a distance of 0.5 cm from the scalp. However, any other
There are no symptoms of immature lice.
REFERENCE. The most pronounced signs of pediculosis
begin to appear with a significant increase in the number
adult individuals. There is almost continuous itching of the skin.
heads, wounds are formed in the place of scratching, the person is disturbed
sleep, he becomes nervous and restless. In especially running
cases, infection of wounds and their suppuration may occur.
How live animals develop and how they feed
In its development, an adult louse goes through several stages,
which in total can last for 2-4 weeks:
- Stage 1 – female lice lay eggs (nits)
approximately 1 mm in size.
- Stage 2 – larva hatches (this happens
about 9 days after the appearance of the egg). Its size is
1.5 mm. This is the first stage of the nymph.
- Stage 3 – the second stage of the nymph begins (1.75
- Stage 4 – the third stage of the nymph (2 mm).
- Stage 5 – the appearance of an adult male
(2.4-3.6 mm) or female (2.3-3 mm).
IMPORTANT. It should be borne in mind that female lice are very
fertile and daily lay on the hair of 5 eggs (nits).
Noticing the first signs of the disease must be promptly
Live lice live in a parasitic way of life and feed on
human blood. In this case, the larvae begin to parasitize
immediately after leaving the egg. For growth they need to eat every
2 hours. Adult same for life support
minimum amount of blood is required.
How to distinguish living nits from the dead
Living nits can be easily distinguished from the dead. With
This is where the main differences lie in the external
So, the following signs are characteristic of live nits:
- White color,
- when illuminated, the surface of the egg glitters,
- the capsule has a convex shape.
In addition, if you try to crush a live nits, it will issue
What dead nits look like, why can they be
dry (empty), are they transmitted?
Dead nits look like this:
- have a dull and faded look,
- the surface of the egg acquires a gray-yellow tint,
- the capsules lose their convex shape,
- do not click when pressed.
It should be noted that the egg louse becomes empty after
the appearance of live larvae. In this case, the shell itself continues
hang on your hair.
Dead nits are not transmitted. However in
anyway they will have to be removed.
Can there be nits without lice, what to do if there are nits, but
Sometimes there are cases when the head
nits are found, and there are no adults. This can
occur if the hair has been exposed to a chemical
substances. For example, painting with a dye containing peroxide
hydrogen can kill adult lice. With this pernicious
exposure to this chemical is not enough to
destroy the eggs themselves.
Faced with such a situation in any case it is necessary
take steps to eliminate nits because
for a short time, live ones can hatch
Are dead nits dangerous?
There is no danger of dead nits in themselves, because of
no lice can hatch them. However, the presence of eggs (even
gives the hair a not very aesthetic look, so in any
case they need to comb.
How to get rid of dry (dead) nits on the hair
Unlike lice, it’s quite difficult to remove nits from the head, so
how they are firmly attached to individual hairs. However
The most common remedies are
- head shaving is the most radical method
which allows you to get rid of nits literally at one time. but
it should be understood that this option is not for everyone
especially when it comes to the female field.
- combing – in this case, the eggs are removed when
the help of a special frequent comb.
- removing dead nits with your fingers – hair on
heads are divided into separate strands and alternately removed from them
the eggs. This method is not the most effective, because
allows you to get rid of dry membranes at 100%. In addition, on
such a procedure will take a sufficiently large amount of time.
How to remove dead nits from hair quickly at home
At present, quite a large number of
ways to eliminate nits, ranging from mechanical stress and
up to applying special chemical to hair
So, to the most famous methods of exposure can be attributed
This method allows you to remove both live and dead nits.
To do this, you must first buy a special pharmacy
crest. Its distinguishing feature is the presence of
a large number of thin and frequent teeth, thanks to which the egg
Lice are easily removed from the hair.
When combing you should adhere to the following
- the procedure should be done in a well-lit
- hair should be divided into separate strands,
- for convenience, the head can be pre-moistened a little or
- if the hair is very long, it is recommended to have it a bit
You should be prepared to repeat combing.
not once before the complete release of hair from nits.
Immediately it should be noted that modern drugs against
head lice are mainly aimed at killing adult lice,
as well as live nits. The most effective include the following
- “Nittifor” — используется для борьбы со вшами,
nits, ticks and fleas. Its active ingredient is
permethrin, which paralyzes the nervous system of the parasite and causes
to their doom. Nittifor can be purchased as a cream or lotion,
- Foxilon – essential hair lotion
component of which is benzyl benzoate. This substance with
easily penetrates the chitinous cover of parasites,
- “Pedilin” — в его основе активное вещество
Malathion, which causes the death of lice and nits. Available in
shampoo or emulsion,
- other drugs against lice.
REFERENCE. After using the above
means of remaining dead lice and nits will be needed
additionally combed with a frequent comb.
Many people who have experienced pediculosis,
often resort to different folk methods. but
it is worth being very careful here, since the use of that or
Other substances can be very dangerous.
In addition, folk remedies also will not provide
self eliminate dead nits. After destruction
in any case they will have to comb or remove
with your fingers.
So, to the main folk remedies against nits can be attributed
- treatment of the head with various extracts
plants (for example, a decoction of wormwood, beet, wild rosemary
- kerosene mixed with vegetable oil –
quite an effective method of dealing with nits and lice. However, such
composition can cause severe poisoning of the body, as well as
damage the scalp and hair. In addition, kerosene is very
- vinegar diluted with water is a remedy
facilitates the process of combing nits from the hair. However, vinegar is not
will destroy adult parasites. Moreover, with the wrong
breeding can burn the scalp.
Features of treatment in children
The treatment of pediculosis in children has a number of features that
Be sure to take into account:
- not all drugs are suitable for removing lice from the head
baby Before use, be sure to
read the instructions and ask how old
you can use this or that tool
- in lice control, preference should be given more
sparing methods of exposure (for example, short hair,
- before using a particular drug against
pediculosis is strongly recommended to consult with
pediatric dermatologist or pediatrician.
ATTENTION. Very carefully it is necessary to choose folk
facilities. Impact on the baby’s scalp is not acceptable.
highly toxic substances like kerosene, vinegar, etc.
Preventing the appearance of lice and nits
In order to avoid the appearance of pediculosis
Follow these simple tips:
- strictly follow the rules of personal hygiene,
- change bed and bed regularly
- periodically wash clothes during washing
(if the fabric allows)
- take care of your hair (regularly
comb, wash your hair),
- perform routine inspections on
the presence of nits and lice,
- Do not use other people’s hats,
hairbrushes, hairpins, towels.
In addition, owners of long hair before going
in a public place you should pay attention to your hairstyle. Not
It is recommended to dissolve the hair, as in this case increases
risk of infection with head lice.
Frequently asked Questions
Often, parents who are faced with the problem of children
lice, the following questions arise:
Expert opinionEustilist hairdresserAsk a question
The child found nits, and no lice, so why can
This situation is possible if an infection has occurred.
most recently, that is, only one could get on the head of a baby
adult, which immediately laid eggs. At the same time the louse itself
(especially if it is one or only a few)
hard to notice. That is why it seems to parents that there are nits,
And there are no lice.
Do dead nits click?
As noted above, dead louse eggs at
pressing on them does not emit a characteristic click. it
is one of the distinguishing features between the dead and
In conclusion, it should be noted that immediately after the detection of nits
on the head it is necessary to immediately begin treatment for lice. With
it does not matter whether they are dead or alive. Anyway eggs
lice must be removed from the head.