Lice are parasites that inhabit the skin of a person’s head.
Many are interested in what lice and nits eat. Known that nits
are the larvae of these harmful insects. Lice feed
human blood. But the nit, being a larva, a certain
time stays in a cocoon until it matures and
become an adult.
- 1 What eat lice and nits on the head of a person
- 2 What do lice and nits eat in nature?
- 3 Features of life and reproduction of parasites
- 4 Symptoms of the development of pediculosis in humans
- 5 What is the difference between a head louse and a clothes louse?
- 6 Ways to get rid of pediculosis
- 7 Conclusion
What eat lice and nits on the head of a person
The content of the article:
- What eat lice and nits on the head of a person
- What do lice and nits eat in nature?
- Features of life and reproduction of parasites
- Symptoms of the development of pediculosis in humans
- What is the difference between a head louse and a clothes louse?
- Ways to get rid of pediculosis
As already mentioned, head lice feed on blood. And
they have a wonderful appetite. During the day one louse can
suck from 0.5 to 0.65 mg of blood. In 24 hours the insect eats
4-5 times, and the process of food consumption on average takes 5-10 minutes.
This is due to the special structure of the body lice, it is absolutely not
adapted to prolonged fasting. As a result of lack of food
even a short period can lead to the death of an insect.
At all stages of development, the head louse feeds only
human blood. Because of its particular structure, the parasite
able to pierce the skin and pump human
blood in your belly.
REFERENCE! It is believed that lice are capable
absorb hair and microparticles of the skin, but it does not have under itself
reason, as it is proven that these parasites cannot digest
However, other members of the louse family may eat down,
skin particles and hairs.
Thus, the lice on the human head feed
only by blood, except for the larval period. Nits up
full maturation does not eat anything at all.
What do lice and nits eat in nature?
If a louse loses its owner, then it is in natural
conditions die quickly. This is due to the lack of food for
insect. As mentioned above, lice can not live long without
subsistence, therefore outside the master they perish. Death is already coming
In a few hours. Therefore, it is safe to say that
far from living organisms, lice cannot eat anything other than blood.
Features of life and reproduction of parasites
Reproduction is carried out in the same place where lives
an insect, that is, on the body of the host. Conditional process
reproduction is divided into the following stages:
- The time when mating occurs male and female
- Next is the fertilization of the egg.
- After that, the female lays eggs.
Lice eggs, or, as they are called, nits, are surrounded
dense shell, which damage is extremely
is difficult. This shell helps the embryos stay
under reliable protection from environmental exposure. During the period
of its life, female lice can reproduce light from several
tens to several hundred eggs. Due to such increased
fecundity type lice still exists safely.
REFERENCE! After the larva hatch,
there is its triple molt until it turns into
With lice are associated with various features that are inherent
- To continue her race, one is enough for a female
meeting with the male. After fertilization, his seed is stored in
louse belly, after which she can
- Louse hardly tolerates low temperatures.
So, already at +20 degrees, it stops multiplying, and at -5
degrees – perish. But the heat also has a negative effect on
parasites. At a temperature of +50 degrees, the insect dies in
for half an hour.
- Being on the human body, the louse chooses the warmest
places. If it is a clothes louse, then its habitat
armpits become, the lower back and neck area. Head
head lice settle on the back of the head and behind the ears.
- If a person tries to wash off lice with water, then this is his
will not work, as parasites cling tightly to the hair
and block the airways on the sides.
- Usually lice settle on the head of one person and
relocate extremely reluctantly.
IMPORTANT! Usually from the day of infection and before
manifestations of lice passes a few weeks. To discover
lice, first you need to check the occipital region and place
behind the ears. This is the favorite areas of stay of head parasites.
Symptoms of the development of pediculosis in humans
If a person has developed pediculosis, then symptoms may become
- Itching and discomfort at bite sites.
- Excursions, or, in simple terms, combing.
- The presence of lice eggs, which are colloquially called nits.
- Small spots on the skin, gray-blue.
- Sometimes boils, ulcers and deep
- Rarely a generalized allergy develops, which
besides skin rash, headache, nausea and
deterioration of the general condition.
- If there are many parasites on the body and head, this affects
human well-being, causes various complications and may even
lead to death.
ATTENTION! If a person constantly combing places
bites, then infection can penetrate into the wounds over time
leads to the formation of ulcers on the scalp.
What is the difference between a head louse and a clothes louse?
To learn about the differences it is worth noting the main features
head and body lice.
- Habitat – scalp,
- The body length of the male individual – 2-3 mm, female –
up to 4 mm.
- In a hungry state, the body of these lice is gray, after
blood saturation acquires a purple hue.
- Head lice lifespan – 1
- The egg lice matures over 10
- Lice do not have wings and are not able to jump, but
parasites are extremely agile, at close proximity of people’s heads, they
can run from one person to another.
- This kind of parasite is not on the person himself, but on his
clothes, so insects are also called linen
- Habitat – folds of clothing, sometimes lice
move to the skin of a person to drink blood.
- Insects usually live in communities
a close look at the folds of clothes you can see a lot
small points, this is a louse.
- Just like head lice, females are larger than males and
can reach a length of 4 mm.
- In a hungry state, the body color of these lice
yellow, when saturation with blood becomes rusty
- Nits are very small, up to 0.5 mm, so
to consider them without a magnifying glass is impossible. After the larva leaves it
outwardly no different from an adult individual, only its size
much smaller, within 1.5 mm
Ways to get rid of pediculosis
Only one way can save a person from lice and
nits for 1 day – it’s a haircut bald. In any other case
even after the destruction of the lice on the hair remain nits, get rid
from which it is very difficult, as they are tightly attached to the hair.
If a person does not want to say goodbye to his hair, then you can
use other ways, though not so fast, but
- Mechanical removal of lice and nits. Done
this is by combing out. A comb is taken with frequent teeth. At first
the patient washes his head with shampoo and rinses with vinegar. Thereafter
you need to hang your head over the sink and start combing a strand behind
strand, periodically wetting the comb in the acetic solution. This
The method is good for people with allergies. However, the procedure is long and
will have to repeat it for several days in a row.
- Medical method. Various
pharmaceutical preparations. The most common ones are: Nittifor cream,
Foksilon lotion, Paranit shampoo, Steam plus aerosol. All these
means have instructions for use, to adhere to
- Mixed method is considered the most
effective because it combines medical and mechanical
effects on parasites.
Pediculosis is a dangerous disease that can cause
various complications. By feeding on human blood, lice can
to be carriers of various infectious diseases. Here is
why get rid of them is necessary.